Natural buildingTo use locally available building materials is a natural choice for me for several reasons:
- The carbon foot print on natural materials such as wood, straw, clay and stone is much lower than on industrially processed materials.
- Natural materials don’t give out any toxic particles as you work with them or after they are installed in a building.
- After their useful days are over, natural materials return gracefully back to the earth without becoming a waste problem.
- As a natural builder I enjoy working with natural materials because of their natural qualities; they feel good to the touch, often have a unique shape, and are very pleasing to the eye.
- Just because a natural material is beautiful doesn’t necessarily mean that it is more expensive to build with than an ugly standard industrial material - in fact, it can often be cheaper!